Water management has been important throughout history, it was essential for building maintenance and sanitation. Water drainage is even a part of Roman mythology. Cloacina is the goddess of the sewers. She dates back to 47 AD, at that time the Romans first introduced drains to Britain. Few people are familiar with how rain gutters have evolved.
This timeline shows the evolution of today’s gutter system:
- 1066: English towns and churches are being rebuilt after the Norman invasion. Gutters on churches are constructed with gargoyles.
- 1240: The Tower of London has a downpipe erected to protect the whitewashed walls.
- Middle Ages: Drainage disputes become one of the most frequent cases heard by authorities.
- 1539: The start of the appearance of rainwater goods on grand houses. Cisterns and hopper heads are crafted from lead.
- 1709: Cast iron replaces lead for rainwater goods.
- 1939 – 1945: Plastic replaces cast iron for gutters and downspouts.
- 1960’s: A seamless gutter machine is invented and aluminum is now used for gutters.
It’s interesting to look back and see how far we have progressed but I appreciate that we are now way beyond the time of the gargoyles! Occasionally, we get calls asking if Alloy Gutter Company makes aluminum seamless gutters. All of our gutters are both aluminum and seamless.
If you are looking for a gutter company who can offer you the best in today’s materials and installation give Alloy Gutter Company a call. If you are looking for gargoyles, check out the old churches in England!